2. Select Insert > Table.
The Table Properties dialog appears:
This dialog allows you to set the following properties for your table:
Rows/Columns: Enter a number.
Headers: You can set the first row as a header, the first column as a header, or set both as headers.
- Border size: Enter a value in pixels to add a border to the table.
- Alignment: Choose a position of either none, Left, Center, or Right.
- Caption: To add a caption to your table, type the caption text in this field.
- Width/Height: To set the width/height of the table, enter values in pixels (e.g., 500px), percentage (e.g., 50%), inches (e.g., 4in), millimeters (e.g., 250mm). You can also enter values in em, ex, pt, and pc; for more information on size values, see this link.
You can now enter and format text in the table.
Working with Cells
To modify cells in the table, position the table on the cell you wish to change and right-click; the following menu appears:
You can use this menu to make the following changes
Insert a cell before or after the selected cell.
- Delete the selected cell
- Merge cells: To combine a group of cells into a single cell, drag the mouse and select Merge Cells.
- Merge Right/Down: To merge all cells in a row or column, select Merge Right (to merge a row), or Merge Down (to select a column)..
Split Cell Horizontally: To split a cell into two cells stacked horizontally, select Split Cell Horizontally:
Split Cell Vertically: To split a cell into two cells arranged vertically, select Split Cell Vertically:
- To change cell properties, select Cell Properties to open the Cell Properties dialog:
Width/Height: Enter values as either pixels or percentage.
Word Wrap: To wrap data to fit the column width, select Yes.
Horizontal Alignment: To set the horizontal alignment of the cell data, select Left, Center, Right, or Justify.
Vertical Alignment: To set the horizontal alignment of the cell data, select Top, Middle, Bottom, or Baseline.
Cell Type: You can set cell contents as either Data or Header.
Rows Span: To merge two or more cells horizontally, enter a number.
Columns Span: To merge two or more cells vertically, enter a number.
Background Color: To set the color of the interior of the cell, click Choose, click on a color, and press OK.
Border Color: To set the color of the cell border, click Choose, click on a color, and press OK.
To insert or delete rows, right-click in a row:
To insert a row to the left of the row column, select Insert Row Before.
- To insert a row to the right of the selected row, select Insert Row Before.
- To delete the selected column, select Delete Rows.
To insert or delete columns, right-click in a column:
- To insert a column to the left of the selected column, select Insert Column Before.
- To insert a column to the right of the selected column, select Insert Column Before.
- To delete the selected column, select Delete Columns.